I honestly can’t believe the number of awards I’ve been nominated for since I joined this community back in the summer. Thank you all so much for being so welcoming! Today I’m doing the most unique and fun award I’ve come across in my short time here. Thank you Laura @The Corner of Laura for nominating me for the Smaugette Award! As a big fan of both dragons and Middle Earth, I really appreciate it!
What is the Smaugette Award?
A Smaugette is… I don’t even know. I just came up with it randomly like eight months ago and I don’t know why I did? I just did. Anyway, this tag is for people who are generally amazing. And that’s all of y’all.
- Tag the creator (meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)
- Make sure you have the rules and smaugette definition in your post!
- Tag 10 fantastic friends you believe are worthy of this prEsTigIoUs AwArD
- Answer the questions I have!
- Make sure you put the award in the post so people can bask in its fabulousness
- Give them a new thing to try (if they want) and (if you want) try the one I’ve given you!
What I was supposed to try
Laura asked us to try to write one opening sentence every day. Now, that’s something that I can’t really do; my writing brain can’t handle thinking of a brand new opening sentence daily. So, I decided to share some of the opening sentences I’ve already written for my projects (I hope that’s ok).
- If anyone saw Vasileia’s house that morning, they’d think a bazaar was happening in the living room.
- Alexandra stood at the door staring at the open casket from afar.
- The clanking of swords. Three panting breaths. Fast heartbeats. That’s all he could hear.
- Her world was swimming in colours. Blues, pinks, purples, silvers twirling and blending around her as she danced.
- Eurydice wished time would stop.
I really struggle with opening sentences, so please don’t judge me too hard 🙈.
1. What is a random hill you would die on?
I’m kidding! Now, to seriously answer the question…
We absolutely can (and should) stack +2 cards on +4 ones when playing UNO and the company itself can die mad about it. We can also play +4 whenever we want in the game not only when we have no cards of the matching colour. Throw the whole handbook away while we’re at it, only house rules apply.
(I have a lot of opinions on UNO, ok.)
2. What are you being for Halloween?
We don’t celebrate Halloween here, but we do have Apokries and the carnivals where we dress up. I haven’t put on a costume since primary school, but if I weren’t a socially awkward mess, I’d love to put on the costumes my godmother wears every year. Once, she went to a party as a fried egg, another time as a serial killer (wearing a cereal box and carrying a knife); she’s amazing at this!
3. Tell us about your favorite article of clothing and maybe(??) include a picture?
My favourite article of clothing is a jacket my grandma gave me. She had bought it for herself around forty years ago in Australia and two years ago she gifted it to me. It’s a thin dark blue jacket and white details with lovely black vintage buttons. It reaches my thighs and it has pockets!
We have horrible lighting today since it’s been raining all day, but I promise it’s dark blue not black.
4. What’s your favorite Thanos quote? Palpatine quote? Any quote?
5. Who or what inspires you?
Everything and everyone. It’s all the random things: a person I meet, a family story, a place, nature, a historical fact. It’s mostly the little moments; I see or hear something (or someone) interesting or beautiful and my interest is immediately piqued. Inspiration hits me at the most inconspicuous moments.
6. What are your top five favorite memes?
My most favourite and most used memes are Greek. However, since they would require an explanation of the entire cultural background from which they emerged for you to understand, I’ll give you only one of them. The rest will be a few of my international favourites.
7. Who is your favorite fictional dragon, (besides Smaug of course)?
I adore all dragons!! Since I have to choose only one, though, I’ll go with my girl Saphira from Eragon. She’s amazing and witty and a great companion. And the bond she has with Eragon? I want that for myself.
8. Top five favorite books right now?
Since I really can’t pick favourites, I’ll share the five books I enjoyed the most recently.
9. What is your ideal novel?
Let me think. Definitely a fantasy. I’d like an adventure story where the focus isn’t solely on the quest and the fighting but also on the strong bonds between characters. Something like the Lord of the Rings, perhaps. Front and centre, I’d like a family bond. Not between just a couple of siblings, like we’re used to. Give me a big, loud family! Give me cousins, loving grandparents, excentric aunts, uncles that love to “sit with the youth”! And for the love of literature, don’t base the fictional world on an Anglosaxon culture!
As for the style, I wouldn’t like pompous, pretentious prose. My ideal novel would be written in a simple way, but with some really strong and beautiful lines here and there. I want it to be captivating, but mostly to feel like home.
10. What memory would you think of to cast a Patronus?
Bold of you to assume I can remember things!
We need a happy memory for this, right? Maybe I’d think of Easter Sunday lunch a couple of years ago when my grandma was still with us (not the one with the jacket, the other one) and the whole family managed to get together. All thirty of us sat around the table and ate and shared laughs and stories. It is a memory I cherish all the more after this year’s lockdown holidays.
- Abby @Beyond the Read
- Naemi @A Book Owl’s Corner
- Line @First Line Reader
- everyone else who wants to do this tag!
I know I keep tagging the same people, but I don’t follow that many blogs yet and tagging new people stresses me out.
What I Want You to Try
I’m going to ask for something quite different from what I had to do. Since Christmas is around the corner, I’d like you to do a good a deed. It can be anything and towards anyone, be it a relative, a friend, or a total stranger. Just do some good and spread some joy around you. You can tell us about it if you want or you can keep it to yourself. Or, you can ignore this “challenge” completely if you wish. Whatever makes you comfortable!
What random hill would you die on?